What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign dental care uses a series of clear removable aligners to straighten your teeth without metal wires or brackets. That means no bonding brackets to your teeth or having to come in for wire changing or tightening appointments.
The aligners are made through a combination of dentist’s expertise and 3D computer imaging technology. The goal with Invisalign braces is for the aligners to gradually but firmly move the teeth into a more natural position. You wear each set of aligners for about two weeks, removing them only to eat, drink, brush, and floss.
As you replace each aligner with the next in the series, your teeth will move — little by little, week by week — until they have straightened to the final position prescribed by the dentist. Because this process is all done from the comfort of your home, you can avoid making weekly or even monthly trips to see the orthodontist or dentist.
How Long Does It Take for Invisalign to Work?
Every treatment plan for Invisalign cosmetic braces is unique based on your smile needs. You’ll visit Friedman Dental Group about once every six weeks to ensure that your treatment is progressing as planned.
Total treatment time averages nine to 15 months and the average number of aligners worn during treatment is between 18 and 30, but both will vary from case to case.
What Are the Benefits of Invisalign?
Invisalign aligners are not just clear — they are clearly beneficial to patients who want to improve the appearance and function of their smiles.
What are the advantages of undergoing Invisalign dental care instead of choosing bracketed braces that rely on the force from wires to move the teeth? Here are a few:
- You can remove your aligners to eat and drink. With this treatment, there’s no need to avoid the foods that you love or wonder if you will get food particles stuck in your wires or brackets.
- You can take out your Invisalign aligners to brush and floss. It has never been so easy to care for your teeth when you are getting them straightened. Invisalign allows you to continue your routine oral hygiene regimen.
- You can avoid the irritation of metal brackets and wires. Do you play sports? Hold a professional job? You may not want to deal with a mouth full of metal braces. Clear cosmetic braces are virtually invisible and very discreet, allowing you to get an amazing smile without all the metal or fuss.
- You can get Invisalign braces whether you are a preteen, teen, or adult. Invisalign braces have leveled the playing field for people of all ages.
- The majority of patient cases are well-suited for Invisalign braces. Your orthodontist will let you know if you are a good candidate for this proven treatment.
- You can avoid having to visit the orthodontist frequently. You will change your aligners as-needed and go to appointments about every month and a half.
What Is Invisalign Dental Care Like?
When you and your dental provider decide that you are a strong candidate for Invisalign, you can expect your dental care routine to change very little. However, you should make sure that you remove your aligners when eating, and always clean your teeth thoroughly before reinserting the aligners.
Keep in mind that Invisalign braces should be worn at least 22 hours a day to keep teeth from drifting and shifting.
If your aligners no longer fit correctly, please call your dentist as soon as possible.